Post-Brexit News for Au Pairs

From January 2021 (Brexit), unfortunately, there is no specific legal route for EU au pairs.

A letter from MP Kevin Foster, Home Office:

“I understand many au pairs have come from within the European Union, yet from 1 January 2021, free movement will end, resulting in EEA and non-EEA citizens being treated equally. However, EU citizens who arrive prior to 31 December 2020, will be eligible to apply for this Government’s European Union Settlement Scheme. As has been the case since 2008, the UK’s points-based immigration system will not offer a dedicated route for au pairs and one will not be created as part of the new system being introduced on 1st January 2021. It is not legal for au pairs or their prospective employers to abuse the visitor’s route in the way suggested as they receive renumeration in exchange for their childcare services. Anyone behaving in this manner could find themselves subject to law enforcement action, yet there are other immigration routes which may exist for people who may wish to take up these roles.”

With that, EU citizens can only be an au pair if they arrived in the UK by 31st December 2020 and hold a pre-settled status certificate.

Currently, au pairs in the UK can be:

  • Young people (18-30 years age) able to apply for a Youth Mobility Visa, they can be from the following countries: Australia, New Zealand, Canada, Japan, Monaco, Taiwan, Republic of Korea and Hong Kong

  • EU people holding (pre-)settled status gained by December 2020

  • Young people from abroad holding UK passport

There is however a growing demand that that the UK government allows EU au pairs to be included in the Youth Mobility Visa to enable their young people to continue to come to the UK for up to 2 years.

The suggested criteria for EU au pairs under Youth Mobility Visa:

  • Invitation letter by a UK host family

  • Police Check certificate from a host family

  • Minimum level of English requirement

  • Tier 5 Youth Mobility Visa is open to all nationalities

  • Length of stay up to 2 years

  • Proof of private medical insurance from an au pair, therefore no 'drain' on the NHS

More information: