Private In-home Child Care Options for Families


Nanny is a professional child carer who has plenty of childcare and is educated, holds peadiatric first aid certificate and DBS. They can work full time (up to 60 hours/week) or part-time on a live out or live in arrangement. They are employed by a family and are taxed.

  • Live-in nannies get accommodation and food on top of their salary. They can work up to 12 hours a day with up to 2 babysitting sessions per week. Payment can be £350-500 net/week (full-time arrangement) or £8-12/hour or more depending on the description of the work.

  • Live-out nannies travel to the family’s house and work up to 12 hours a day with up to 2 babysitting sessions per week. Payment is £400-700+ net/week (full-time arrangement) or £10-16/hour or even more depending on the description of work.

A very good side of having a nanny is that they provide individual and flexible care of your children and they tend to stay with the family for a longer time and tie greater relationships with the family.


Governess is more than just a nanny. They are responsible for providing high-end home schooling. They are a specialist nanny, private educator, focusing on certain skills of children (foreign language, music, GCSE, religion, etc.) and teach manners and etiquette. They hold a relevant qualifications and a fair amount of childcare experience.

They receive £800-1500+/week on top of their accommodation for typically 50-70 hours a week of work.


Mother's helpers or Family Assistants normally work up to 35 hours/week. They have more childcare experience than au pairs but not quite yet as much as a nanny. They can work with babies as one of the parents is at home and can give them a thorough guidance. They usually receive up to £300 a week salary depending on the helper's experience, age, children's ages and difficulty of duties.

They normally help with childcare, laundry, cooking, tidying and other light house work (however not deep cleaning) while one of the parents works from home or stays at home.

The family is an employer and they need to register the mother's helper as an employee. Family normally offers free accommodation and meals to a mother's helper or family assistant.


The Au Pair is the most affordable private childcare option. t is however important to know that au pairs are not professional child carers such as nannies and can help taking care of children that are above 2 years of age. They have some experience working with children (usually, taking care of their younger siblings and/or babysitting other children) and like helping in light housekeeping (please note that they don't do heavy cleaning). Au pairs are also normally interested into exploring the foreign cultures, languages, places and meeting new people. They are treated as a member of the host family.

They receive their own room, own/shared bathroom, meals and weekly pocket money. Our pocket money guide is a minimum of £100 per week for 25 hours/week of help, at least £110/week for 30 hours/week and £120/week if they are a driver.

They are also entitled to receive paid holidays (4 weeks + bank holidays for 12 month period or 2 weeks + bank holidays for 6 month stay). An au pair should have two free days a week (one of them has to be over the weekend).

Au pair programme is perfect especially for a welcoming family who has an extra room in their house or flat and primary school aged children. It is a good way of helping each other and making new friends.